Let's Go Rafting!
Scouts and leaders staying at San Isabel Scout Ranch can raft the Arkansas River at Rocky Mountain High Adventure Base (RMHAB) in Poncha Springs, Colorado. Our whitewater rafting experience pits you against the roaring Arkansas River as it fights its way through the amazing Rocky Mountains. The Arkansas River is one of the most exciting whitewater rivers in the country. This is a great opportunity to expose your scouts to the challenges of whitewater rafting while preparing them for the next step in scouting, High Adventure!
After receiving training from our certified River Guides, your crew will join them for a morning or afternoon of exciting – often times wet – whitewater rafting. At a length of 1,459 miles, the Arkansas River is the 4th longest river in the United States and the 16th longest on the planet.
- Rocky Mountain High Adventure Base will provide whitewater rafting guide service on Wednesday as one of our fee-based programs. The additional fee to participate in this program is $45 per person and will include lunch and whitewater merit badge instruction. You must realize the MB cannot be completed fully with this visit as per the requirements.
- Youth must be accompanied by an adult leader to provide supervision while on the water.
- Ride the river as it plummets through the Rocky Mountains near Salida, Colorado.
- Transportation between San Isabel Scout Ranch and Rocky Mountain High Adventure Base is the responsibility of YOUR UNIT. (Plan to drive your Scouts)
- Plan to leave San Isabel by 6:00 a.m. for the morning trip or 10:00 am for the afternoon trip to make the 2-hour trip to Rocky Mountain High Adventure Base. We must fill the morning session before we open the afternoon trip.
- BSA swim checks are required for participation. No minimum age required.
- All participants must meet the National High Adventure Height/weight Requirements
Pre-payment is required to guarantee slots on the Wednesday Rafting trip. Be sure to reserve early!
Do you have Scouts that have been to camp for several years and aren't interested in working on merit badges for another year at camp? Outpost is just what they are looking for!
Designed specifically for those older scouts that have been to summer camp for several years and/or Venture Crews, Outpost offers a taste of High Adventure while at camp. Scouts will have the opportunity to spend their week doing activities such as:
- Black powder rifle shooting
- Knife and tomahawk throwing
- Dutch oven cooking
- Mountain biking
- Climbing and repelling
- Team Building/ Low COPE
- Wilderness survival/ primitive camping skills
This is a great opportunity for Scouts to really live the “Mountain Man” life for a week. Their week will be packed with activities that will allow them to take their Scouting adventure to new heights. Scouts will get the chance to see parts of camp rarely seen during the normal camp experience and do things that they may not have had the opportunity to do in the past.
The Outpost program is designed for older Scouts and/or Venturers that have already been to summer camp and do not need to work on merit badges. This is a special opportunity that should be reserved for your more veteran Scouts or Venturers.
Participants registered for Outpost will not be able to earn any merit badges.
Our staff is trained and ready to teach outdoor skills, offer ideas, and model the Scout spirit you want your boys to value. The Outpost camp runs Monday through Friday during the SISR camp week. All meals will be provided for Outpost Scouts. Scouts will join the rest of the camp to participate in the weeks closing activities.
The cost for Outpost camp is an additional $75 per person.
Be sure to register early to ensure your scouts will get a spot!